CDP4i: the perfect IBM i Hardware Replication complement
Hardware Replication is a robust IBM i Replication Solution.
But this Replication Solution is solely based on replication and only protects against hardware incidents (35% of unavailability IBM i cases).
It propagates Software or Human Errors (65% of unavailability IBM i cases) on the Recovery System like all other Replication Solutions.
In redbooks for its Hardware Replication Solution PowerHA for IBM i « Implementing PowerHA for IBM i » & « PowerHA SystemMirror for IBM i Cookbook » IBM preconizes:
“The support afforded by journaling can provide you with mechanisms to minimize the
possibility of the loss of critical enterprise data, thereby helping you achieve your RPO”
We agree! But this is not always implemented: lack of expertise on how to use and manipulate journals, bad implementation, limited scope, etc.
To help IBM i Hardware Replication users follow this recommendation, DRP Software has developed CDP4i which is suitable for IBM i Hardware Replication.
CDP4i productizes journaling, making it easy to use, powerful and goes one step further by saving and externalizing the journal receivers at very short intervals.
CDP4i allows them to benefit from its advantages:
- CDP4i presents the libraries in a list of selectable items. Journaling is then started automatically
Easier use of journaling:
- No specific skills are required. This is a product.
- Restore operations are assisted and automated, full or granular and include a Version Control System.
- All the new objects created can be journaled automatically.
- Limited use of disk space due to compression and retention management.
Journal receivers are safely stored on a remote site.
IBM i data protection in case of human error or application bug.
CDP4i is fully compatible and increases IBM i Hardware Replication Availability
CDP4i fills in the gaps of IBM i Hardware Replication and makes it the most complete HA solution as well as the only one covering 100% of unavailability causes.
Combining IBM i Hardware Replication Solution with CDP4i makes the most complete, robust and easy to use High Availability IBM i Solution on the market.
The only IBM i HA Solution on the market which can guarantee
0 Data Loss in all cases of Physical Loss or Logical Data Loss.
Additional points of interest for combining CDP4i and IBM i Hardware Replication:
CDP4i presents the libraries in a list of selectable items, journaling is then started automatically
All the new objects created can be journaled automatically
CDP4i detaches the journal receivers based on a time criterion which users can define (eg. 2 minutes)
Journal receivers are saved, compressed and externalized:
– If a hardware or site failure occurs, the journal receivers are safely stored on a remote site
– Limited use of disk space due to compression and retention management
Restore operations are assisted and automated, full or granular and include a Version Control System
No specific skills are required: this is a end user product
In case of one Power i unavailability, CDP4i continues to outsource and secure the modified IBM i data from the available Power i to the CDP storage servers
Compared RPO and RTO: HW Replication alone vs. CDP4i + IBM i HW Replication
CDP4i + IBM i Hardware Replication is the only one IBM i HA solution
covering 100% of IBM i, production and backup unavailability causes
Benefits of combining CDP4i with IBM i Hardware Replication:
- 0 Data loss in case of an incident or a disaster
- IBM i Hardware Replication: a robust IBM i HA solution to protect Power i Downtime or Disaster (Physical Loss)
- CDP4i: data protection in case of Software Bugs or Human errors (Logical Data Loss)
- CDP4i advantages: versioning, 100% RPO control, data externalization …
- Thanks to its VCS and the externalization of all modified data, CDP4i can restore an object in its last correct version prior to an incident